Wednesday, June 2, 2021

DOUBLE DUTY WITH ARMATI 2ND EDITION



Drawing inspiration from the excellent Glasgow Armati Battle Reports which were published in the May-June 2015 issue of Slingshot, I thought I would try to imitate the entertaining as well as opposing point-of-view narratives provided by Mark Grindlay and John Bradley. Instead of deploying armies representing Late Macedonians and Republican Romans on my table top, I would employ groups of Galatians and formations under the command of Pyrrhus of Epirus. Instead of using small or regular-sized armies, I would assemble larger forces, doubling the core units and doubling the number of points allowed for the selection of bonus units. My “miniature” army of Galatians, then, would contain a minimum of 10 units of WB (Warband - Heavy Infantry). My “miniature” army of Galatians could have as many as 16 more units of WB, for an impressive and intimidating total of 26 units of hard-hitting and impetuous warbands, each with a movement rate of 6 inches and a unit breakpoint value of 4. My “miniature” Pyrrhic army would contain a core force of 6 units of PH (Phalanx - Heavy Infantry), 4 units of LI (Light Infantry - Peltasts), 2 units of SI (Skirmisher Infantry), and 2 units of HC (Heavy Cavalry). The PH units in this original force would consist of two units with a frontal fighting strength/value of 8 and 4 units with a frontal fighting strength of 7. Under one option, the bonus points for my Pyrrhic army could be spent on 20 additional units of PH. These orderly formations would consist of units having a frontal fighting value of 8, Tarantine phalanxes with a frontal fighting value of 6, and Allied formations armed with spears that also had a frontal fighting value of 6. Instead of using the core and bonus terrain features or pieces provided in each army list, I decided to stage this imaginary scenario on historical ground. Half a dozen ancient battlefields were selected from the pages of Warfare in the Classical World and previous issues of this august publication. [1] Each ancient battlefield was assigned a number and then I rolled a d6. The result gave me my terrain for this fictional and what I hoped would prove to be fun contest. I addressed the problem of not having a readily available and challenging wargaming opponent by drafting six basic battle plans for each army. Once this enjoyable task was finished, I rolled a d6 for the Galatians and then another d6 for the Pyrrhic army. The results of these separate die rolls determined how each force would deploy for the planned engagement. Map 1 shows how my table top looked prior to the first turn being played. The combined narratives offered by Mark Grindlay and John Bradley provided a “you are here” or “you were there” experience as well as a peak into the minds of experienced if not expert wargamers. In the report that follows, I am going to imitate this engaging format (or try to do so). It would be rather silly, however, to keep retyping my name as I first assume the role of the veteran Pyrrhic army general and then switch to the perspective of the (I would imagine) fierce-looking, well-muscled, and quite possibly tattooed Galatian commander. Therefore, I will simply start each descriptive paragraph with either the bracketed identifier [Pyrrhic General] or [Galatian Commander]. 



The Opposing Plans

[Pyrrhic General] I could not ask for better terrain for the various types of troops under my command. I have a shallow river and some marshy ground on my left flank, and there is a long, low hill running parallel to my right. The vast majority of the ground is flat and open, excellent terrain for my phalanx and heavy horse. After due consideration, I post my light cavalry [1] and some peltasts [2] on my left. I arrange my phalanx in five corps or divisions. Starting on the left wing, I “stair-step” the allied contingents [3, 4] and then the Tarantine infantry [5, 6]. My regular troops are posted on the right, in the traditional position of honour [8]. Several units of heavy cavalry [9] hold the far right, next to the long, low hill. To their rear are my veteran pikemen [10]. Assuming the role of Pyrrhus, I place myself next to the veteran heavy horse [11]. As for the nellies [7], well, I hold them in reserve, behind the Tarantine phalanx. It is my hope that the weight of these animals lends some confidence to the suspect Tarantine foot. My general plan? Well, I will attack on my right, hoping to pierce and then turn his line. The rest of the phalanx will fight a holding action, and my left wing will harass and delay his right wing. 

[Galatian Commander] The landscape does not favour me, save for my chariots and cavalry having no features to block or impede them, so it looks like I will have to launch an all-out attack and overwhelm my more civilized opponent. To that end, I place all of my cavalry [A - light; B & C - heavy] on my right flank, next to the river. My chariots [H, I] are assigned to the left flank. The half-dozen units of Gaesati [E] are arranged in front of my rather orderly line of heavy and slower warbands [D, F, and G]. The Gaesati form a “throwaway” or “forlorn hope” formation if you will, with which I plan to wound and tire out enemy troops. My second line of warriors will then charge. While I expect the fighting to be bloody and difficult, I trust that the impetuousness and savagery of my warbands will carry the day. As king of the collected tribes, I take up a position behind the centre of my line, attached to a unit of veteran warband. My subordinate is given command of the cavalry wing. 


The Reveal

[Pyrrhic General] Oh my . . . There are so many warbands. Even so, I have a level of confidence that my phalanxes will be able to hold against the surging waves of bellowing and or screaming warriors.  I am a bit worried about my left wing, as I see that I am facing all the Galatian horse in this sector. I will probably have to send the elephants in that direction, though perhaps my peltasts and a portion of my allied contingent can hold. Then again, I may need the elephants to bolster the Tarantine foot in the centre. Oh dear . . . My plan to attack on my right and roll up the enemy line looks problematic. My horse has to break through a fair number of chariots and then engage the enemy foot. It will be a contest of quality versus numbers. It will also be a contest of who throws better dice.

[Galatian Commander] Though my heavy horse are a bit constrained by the nature of the ground on my right flank, I believe I have an advantage here over my opponent. I need to respect his peltasts, however. My general plan to rush forward and overwhelm seems like it might work, as my Gaesati warriors find themselves opposite the Tarantines - not the most capable troops on the enemy’s roster. The challenge will be on my left, I think, where my chariots and warbands face better quality cavalry and better quality heavy infantry. I hope to exert enough pressure all across the line so that he cannot decide where to commit his elephants. I do not believe my warriors will do well if they have to deal with those four-legged and armed-with-ivory-tusks creatures. 


The Battle

[Pyrrhic General] I win the move option for the first turn of this fictional dance and order my formations forward. I expect that there will be contact on my right wing next turn, as his chariots would not dare wheel about and withdraw against my heavy horse. There will probably be action on my left as well, though my light cavalry (Tarantines) will not fare well versus the heavy cavalry of the enemy. The clash of opposing lines of foot is still a few turns in the future. [2] I need to decide where to commit my elephants. 

[Galatian Commander] A series of notes blasted on horns made of animal bone signals my army to advance - or at least I imagine so. The orderly advance of my warriors is rather impressive. My chariots will be engaged by next turn, and I think a portion of my heavy horse on my right will be involved in melee as well. It is a fairly even match on my left; I should win the right without suffering too many losses. I need to turn his right and fold up his phalanxes before he can get his pike-wielding heavy infantry into contact with my variously-armed warriors. Then again, if the dice fall my way, I could punch a few holes in his phalanxes. 


[Pyrrhic General] Having secured the initiative for the second turn, I press forward with the various contingents of my phalanx and order the elephants to advance as well. A thin screen of peltasts in front of the Tarantine foot is now within javelin range of the oncoming Gaesati. Will Game Turn 3 see any impact by the volley of missiles? On my left, I debate moving forward with the Tarantine light horse. Better, I think, to let the Galatian cavalry come to me. Then again, I would certainly like to be able to withdraw my light horse through the peltasts. Over on my right flank, I dare his chariots to charge my horsemen. They oblige me and the ensuing melee produces even casualties. That wall of warriors is drawing closer. 

[Galatian Commander] Ideally, I should have placed my light cavalry forward on my right flank. Ah well, I will have to charge and scatter his light horse with my heavy troopers. The reserve formations of peltasts will be more of a problem, given that they can gang up on my cavalry. The staggered approach of the enemy main line has left my skirmishers, few that they are, without any targets again. Perhaps in another turn or two my light troops will be able to discharge some light javelins and other missiles? It’s crunch time on my left. His cavalry advanced to within spitting distance so I had no choice but to close into melee. I thought I had him on his back foot for a moment in one melee area, but then rolled an even worse combat die than he did. So far, the contest is even. 


[Galatian General] Finally, a win in the move option column for my army. After taking a couple of hits from Tarantine javelins over on my right wing, I charge my heavy cavalry into the thin line of light horse. For the most part, the melees go my way. A poor roll in the contest nearest to the marshy ground sees my already wounded troopers suffer more casualties. As this action unfolds, I move my light cavalry towards the centre of the field and then bring up my other division of heavy horse. In the centre of the plain, my Gaesati take a single hit from some javelins thrown by peltasts. I advance my entire host of warriors. The Gaesati close the gap against the peltasts, while I hold back a little on my left due to the ongoing melee. In this turn of fighting, my medium chariots do not do so very well. Half of my formation is on the verge of breaking, while only one-fourth of the enemy division is in danger of routing. 

[Pyrrhic Commander] I fully expect a heavy infantry clash in the centre of the field next turn, as my Tarantine phalanx is about to meet the Gaesati. I hope that my peltasts and skirmishers are able to pick off a few more of the fanatics before the proper melee commences. Over on my left wing, my light cavalry are selling themselves to wound and tire out the Galatian heavy horse. I am keeping the numerous peltasts in reserve and out of the rout path. The small contingent of allied hoplites is slowly making its way over to this sector. I do not believe that I will have to worry about being taken in the flank. The combat on my right wing is tilting in my favour. I fear that my heavy cavalry will be exhausted and in no condition or mood, really, to take on the waiting wall of warbands. In terms of infantry on this flank, I have him outmatched. The melee, when it begins, should go my way. I just need the Tarantines to hold in the centre of my line. 


[Pyrrhic General] The move option is mine once again. In the centre, I launch another javelin volley - this time using both my peltasts and skirmishers. The impact is not what I had hoped; only one enemy unit takes a hit. Wishing to retain the initiative, I pushed forward with my heavy infantry, dispersing my own light troops. I move forward on the right wing as well, as far as the ongoing melee will let me. With my reserve cavalry unit, I wheel and move further to the right, just in case things go sideways versus the chariots or the warbands. The elephants continue walking behind the Tarantine phalanx units. As expected, my light cavalry on the left wing crumbles before the heavier horse of my opponent. I score a hit however, and I do add another fatigue marker to each of his formations. He now has to deal with my peltasts and the reinforcing contingent of my allied phalanx. The centre is chaos. I should have halted my Tarantine infantry so that they could receive the charge of the Gaesati in a better formation and attitude. A series of rather poor die rolls sees half of my Tarantine formations evaporate when engaged by the screaming barbarians. This is not good. Fortunately, my command and control remains unaffected. Over on the right, I rout two of his chariot units. My cavalry formations are exhausted now, and the veritable wall of warbands is very close . . . too close, in fact. 

[Galatian Commander] What ho! My heavy troopers on my right wing have broken his Tarantine light horse. I have some reserves at hand, but believe it will be difficult to get rid of all those peltasts and hoplites. There is a chance that my light cavalry might annoy or even attack the other group of allied hoplites in the flank. I will have to see how this sector develops, however. In the centre, my groups of Gaesati have done stellar work. Fully half of the enemy phalanx has folded in the face of their fierce charge. Granted, I gave up some command and control points to split the assault, and a few of my warbands took hits from javelin volleys, but the combats with the heavy infantry went in my favour. If only I could pursue, punch through, and then turn on the more vulnerable flanks of various enemy formations. The success in the centre was countered by problems on my left. Half of my chariot division is no more. On the plus side, all of his cavalry are tired and my warbands are salivating at the prospect of charging into melee against these exhausted horsemen. (Please see Status of Field - End of Game Turn 4 Map.)  



[Galatian Commander] Even though I am down 4 to 2 in terms of command and control points, I manage to snatch the initiative from Pyrrhus and his subordinates. Pre-move and pre-melee volleys of javelins do not make much of an impact, though I do score some hits versus a section of allied hoplites deployed against my right, and I do survive a barrage of missiles from a large group of peltasts on my far right wing. I begin the close combat resolution on my left and am saddened to see yet another chariot unit bite the dust. Taking a positive view, his strong cavalry force is now somewhat depleted as well as exhausted. If and when I can advance my fresh warbands into these horsemen, well . . . In the centre of the plain, the Tarantine phalanx suddenly finds a bit of backbone and fights stubbornly against my Gaesati warriors. Over on the right, my light horse manages to catch a unit of allied heavy infantry in the flank. These troopers do some damage as well as stop the division in its tracks. Further to right, much blood is spilled as I sacrifice a portion of my heavy horse against a group of enemy peltasts. Half of the light-heavy infantry is bowled over by the impetus of my charge(s), but the survivors prove more than capable and defeat two of my weakened units of horse. Ouch! Fortunately, I do have a division of reserve heavy cavalry on hand. 

[Pyrrhic General] For now, my centre is holding. I have yet to commit the elephants. I think I need more space for them to be effective. My allied contingents should be okay on the left wing. I do not believe his heavy cavalry stands much of a chance in a frontal assault against a phalanx bristling with long spears. My peltasts are doing excellent work against his heavy troopers. Over on my right flank, I have moved up a division of proper pikemen. In the process, I dispersed a couple of units of pesky enemy skirmishers. I may get this phalanx into action by next turn as my counterpart seems to be waiting for the resolution of the contest between his chariots and my cavalry. Speaking of that combat, my cavalry has been bloodied and are exhausted, but I am on the verge of sweeping his chariots from the field. I am concerned, however, as to how my tired horsemen will fare against his fresh and fierce warbands. Thus far, the battle has been rather even. I have 9 key units left in my morale “bank”, the Galatians have 11 units left in theirs. I do have an advantage in command and control. Hopefully, I can use this to dictate the tempo of the rest of the battle. 


[Galatian Commander] I win the move option but find that my masses of warriors are prohibited from getting “stuck in” because of command and control issues. A number of ongoing melees block the various paths that these divisions of warbands might take. Frustrating! While my surviving chariot manages to tie the enemy horse and therefore, last another turn, my troops are on the losing end in other contests. For example, my light cavalry - the unit that attacked an allied hoplite formation in the flank - has suffered a reverse. Apparently, the heavy infantry did not like being pestered and harassed on their left side. Over on the right wing, I have lost another unit of heavy horsemen to the attention of two units of peltasts. And one of my fresh units of cavalry has lost its first round of melee versus a third unit of light-heavy infantry. 

[Pyrrhic General] On my right, I have advanced some pikemen closer to a rather large group of warbands. Next turn will see a melee commence. In this same sector, one of my cavalry units continues to struggle with some stubborn charioteers, while the other units take advantage of the lack of an opponent to rest and reorganize. In the centre, nothing of note really, except for holding off the Gaesati and slapping away some buzzing enemy light cavalry. My left wing enjoyed the most success, in that it broke another unit of Galatian heavy horse and inflicted losses on a fresh unit of the same type. I do believe I have the advantage in this part of the field.  


[Pyrrhic General] The initiative remains with me, but I voluntarily split a couple of formations that are in melee, thus potentially squandering my previous 4 to 2 advantage in command and control. It also appears that I have squandered half of my cavalry on my right wing. Having rested and reorganized, two of my weakened cavalry units attempted a charge against a wall of warbands. Hopes of breaking through were dashed as the barbarians made short work of one troop of heavy horse and then another. To add insult to injury, my phalanx advanced into contact and while the first combats went well, one of the units of pikemen in the middle of the larger formation collapsed in panic after being struck by a ferocious charge. The fact that I finally defeated the Galatian chariots in this sector offered little satisfaction. Over in the centre of the field, my Tarantine infantry and allied foot continue to battle against the Gaesati. My elephants remain in reserve. On my left, the enemy light cavalry is finally repulsed from its harassing attack on the flank of my one formation, and the surviving peltasts have followed up a javelin volley with a charge into some enemy heavy cavalry, much to the latter’s consternation. In sum, not a very good turn, as I find myself just 6 key units away from defeat. 

[Galatian Commander] The wall of warbands on my left has done rather well this turn. They have broken or routed no fewer than three enemy units. I may have a good fighting chance in this sector of the field. I just have to watch out for that one unit of enemy heavy horse that slipped around my extreme left flank. If these horsemen can wheel and line up for a charge or charges into my flank or rear, well, things will get interesting very quickly. Nothing remotely as dramatic on my right or along my centre. I still have not committed my main forces of warbands against what remains of his army. 


[Pyrrhic General] The move option is mine again, and once again, I choose to move first. Before I can though, I have to endure some missile volleys from his skirmishers on my left wing. Fortunately, the hail of light javelins miss. Unfortunately, I cannot make many moves, as I am stuck in melees all across the line. I do push a single heavy cavalry unit further into my enemy’s left rear. It will take a couple of turns, at least, to wheel these horsemen around so that I can fall on the warbands from behind. After measuring the distance, I elect to about face a damaged unit of heavy horse so that I can get them out of the way on this flank. Let my “elite” phalanx units deal with his bellowing warriors. On the other side of the field, my peltasts, even though tired, continue to frustrate and inflict damage upon opposing units of enemy cavalry.

[Galatian Commander] If only I could get my centre and right divisions of warbands into the actual fighting. Ongoing melees as well as command and control issues prevent me from making this happen. In melees on my right and left as well as in my centre, I take more casualties than I dole out. On my left wing, I advance part of a large division in an effort to catch some weakened enemy horse, but do not quite reach them. My counterpart has managed to get a unit of horse around my left flank, but it is just one unit and it has some ground to cover before becoming a worrying threat. Oh, how I wish I could throw in more of my warbands and overwhelm these invaders! (Please see Status of Field - End of Game Turn 8 Map.)



[Galatian Commander] Securing the move option, I push some warbands into contact on my left wing. Hopefully, they will do better than the chariots that started the battle in this sector. Over on the right, I push forward with another division of warriors, the screen of skirmishers having done absolutely nothing versus some enemy hoplites with a volley of javelins. I opt to start the fighting on my right and move across to my left. The dice do not favour me. No, not at all. I lose two heavy cavalry units on my right. One of these routs into a warband that was too close and well, these fierce warriors were caught up in the flight. In the centre of the field, two units of Gaesati finally give way to the Tarantine pikemen. More Galatian warriors fall dead or wounded on my left, as the pike phalanxes proved effective and stubborn. Suddenly, I find myself just three key units away from having a broken army. 

[Pyrrhic General] I think I will dedicate a monument to my peltasts. They have done really good work today against the enemy heavy horse. My Tarantine foot will also get a monument of some sort, though not as large and splendid as the one for my light-heavy infantry, for they are finally showing some mettle against the Gaesati tribesmen. If I can get my veteran heavy cavalry into melee the next turn, I just might be able to pull this off. There are four enemy units almost ready to rout. I have the advantage in fighting value against all of these formations. I just the need the dice to cooperate a little. 


[Galatian Commander] Though I secure the move option, there is little I can do to affect the eventual outcome. It is all up to the dice. Over on my right wing, the last of my heavy cavalry goes down against a combined attack by tired peltasts and fresh allied hoplites. In the centre, the other division of allied hoplites holds off wave after wave of barbarians, while a unit of wounded Tarantine pikemen finally succumb and break. My fierce Gaesati are charged by some elephants, but they survive the impact of these trumpeting animals. Things fall completely apart on my left. The enemy phalanx pushes its way through in several places, as warband after warband is defeated and routed. Further out on my left flank, the last key unit is lost. This collapse pushes my army past its morale tipping point. The field, to my chagrin and disappointment, belongs to Pyrrhus and his cronies.  

[Pyrrhic General] Well done boys! My peltasts, over on the left wing, really proved themselves today. With a bit of assistance from an allied contingent, these light-heavy infantry tore into and then tore apart a large force of enemy cavalry. They saved my army from potential disaster. My Tarantine phalanx traded men for time, allowing the better troops in my other phalanxes to get into the fight and punish the Galatians. On immediate reflection, I was lucky. Not only did the dice fall more in my favour, but the barbarian commander could not move all of his warriors into battle. Had he been able to do so, I think I would have been sorely pressed in all sectors of the field. In fact, I believe that I would have gone down in defeat. 


The Commentary

Save for adjusting the unit dimensions and using a particular ruler, the preceding scenario was played without any rule amendments or modifications, which is, I admit, rather out of character for me. Despite this lack of tinkering or tweaking, I thought the wargame was engaging as well as entertaining. I quite enjoyed playing against myself. Then again, this assessment might be the influence of the “split-personality” format. As to this particular approach, there were times when I worried about repeating myself, for if something was remarked upon by the Galatian commander, should the Pyrrhic general also offer a comment or his interpretation? 


The use of dice to determine the nature of the terrain as well as the deployment of each army was, in my opinion, a simple and effective (but by no means original) answer to a couple of the “problems” posed by being a solo wargamer. In reviewing the opposing battle plans, I could not help but note that each commander did not really carry out his stated strategy. As the Pyrrhic general, I failed to pierce the enemy’s line on my right. On the positive side, I managed to hold the line in all other parts of the field. As the Galatian commander, I failed to overwhelm the enemy. Perhaps my costliest mistake was to lead with my cavalry on my right wing. On reflection, I should have advanced my right division of warbands and scattered the peltasts. I could have followed up with my cavalry or perhaps attacked the flank of the enemy centre with my heavy horse. Of course, this is hindsight. The Galatians fought well; the dice were just not on their side.


Unlike recently completed wargames and wargame experiments, this scenario was fun if not strictly historical. (3) The size of the engagement was satisfactory, the rules were concise and simple, and again, the “new”, at least for me, narrative approach added an element of being embedded with each army instead of just reporting the action from an invisible as well as modern-day blimp floating a mile or so above the battlefield. Given all these positives, I find myself very tempted to try another scenario using another pair of armies. Then again, the arrival of the Tactica II rules in the post a few weeks ago has me wondering how this imaginary battle might play when using a different set of rules. 

 


Notes

1. The possible fields of battle were: Mantinea, Chaeronea, Pharsalus, Idistaviso, Argentoratum, and Chalons. The first five were from Warfare; Chalons would be based on the model battlefield offered in the issue of Slingshot containing the FOG report of Chalons from Battle Day 2013.  

2. For this solo scenario, I used the Intro Scheme ruler for 25 mm scale figures, provided on page 36 of the rulebook. I was not using 25 mm miniatures, however. Instead, and as usual, I was using coloured counters produced on my ancient MacBook. These two-dimensional counters were based on the 15 mm measurements given for Epic Units on page 1, but reduced so that the uniform frontage of a unit was 60 mm rather than 80 mm. The depth of the units, depending on type, was adjusted accordingly. 

3. This Armati “adventure” was staged after spending a few months camped on Bosworth Field. The reports produced during this “working vacation” will be submitted in time for Battle Day 2020. Anyhow. I am not aware of any recorded battles wherein Pyrrhus of Epirus and his army fought against Galatians. 





No comments:

Post a Comment